SPF obsessed

29 Apr

Exciting news:  next week, Derrick and I are going on our first real vacation ever!  We’ll be in Cabo San Lucas and I am so damn ready for non-stop sunshine and warm weather.

I’ve been stocking up on all the beach essentials:  bikinis, maxi dresses, sandals, sunnies, hats, and most importantly, SPF.  I’m mostly Danish and I have pretty fair skin, so I try to take care of it and I never tan.  If anything, my goal is to come back from vacation even more pale than when I left.

IMG_2025

I don’t trust chemical sunscreens, so I always go with physical sunblocks that contain at least 9% zinc oxide.  Every sunblock on the market claims that it’s “totally sheer” and won’t leave a whitish cast on your skin.  Unfortunately, that’s always bullshit, and if you’re any darker than a shade 10, it’s going to be a problem.  Luckily there are a few brands that make good tinted versions.  My new favorite is Elta MD’s chemical-free SPF 41.  I basically wear it as a light foundation, and I love it because it stays put all day and doesn’t dry out my skin.  The downside is that it only comes in one shade (about a 20 I think), which is still pretty light for most skin tones.  Hopefully they’ll come out with more shades in the future.

Since the ocean will actually be warm enough to swim in- unlike the beautiful but freezing beaches here- I picked up the water-resistant 45.  It stays put in the water, and the spray bottle makes reapplication way easier.

For my lips, I use Jane Iredale LipDrink with SPF 15.  It does leave a bit of a whitish film, but if you apply it carefully, it’s not noticeable.  It’s super moisturizing, smells amazing, and you could easily use it as a base for lipstick.

Advertisements

8 Responses to “SPF obsessed”

1. paytonrodewald May 1, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Sunscreen is definitely an essential for my skin as well. I have very sensitive skin, and without protection, I could look as red as a radish. I think it’s wonderful that you embrace your fair skin-tone. It’s rare to see fair ladies during the summer time!

xo,
    Tiny darling

2. Victoria May 2, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Yes please. With summer right around the corner , sunscreen is a huge must. Thanks for sharing

3. M A R T A May 2, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

Nice post, your blog is lovely!

4. xlovehappyx May 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

ooo enjoy Cabo!
    looking forward to pics 😉

5. Ira May 5, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Amazing product! I love it:)

6. Megan, The Frugalista Diaries May 5, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

have fun! Xo Megan, http://www.TfDiaries.com

7. Rachel May 7, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Oooh, gotta try out this. I try to minimize the chemicals in my medicine cabinet as well. I just ran out of SPF so I’m excited for this!

And I just stumbled on your blog – you’re friggen gorgeous!!!!

8. dayglomedpsa May 20, 2013 at 8:37 am #

So happy to hear that SPF is a priority on your vacation! Hopefully you had a great time! We love the jane iredale Lip Drink and can’t get enough! Check out our blog for some great skin care tips. Right now we are posting a 3-part series on sun safety, entitled “Pale is the new tan.” Come check it out!

In our most recent post (Pale is the new tan, Part I) we recommended a physical sunscreen by SkinCeuticals that is light-weight and tinted so you definitely do not see any white hue after application. Come check out our blog for the recommendation! http://www.daygomedspa.wordpress.com.